Wilderness First Responder (50h or 80h)
This training is intended for members of search and rescue teams, outdoor professionals working in isolated areas and anyone who wishes to acquire a solid foundation in pre-hospital emergency care in isolated areas.
There are two possible pathways to certify as a Wilderness First Responder :
- Take the Wilderness First Responder (80h) course
- Take the Advanced Wilderness First Aid (40h) training + the Bridge to Wilderness First Responder (50h) – within the same year.
Wilderness First aid theory and practice; situational awareness, leadership, duties and responsibilities, injury prevention, specialized first aid kits, wound care and trauma management. (Theory covered during the 40h and the 80h)
• This training put a special emphasis on accident scene management, group leadership, rescuer responsibility and liability, prevention of injuries, advanced first aid kits, wound management and managing the trauma victim. (Theory covered in the 50h and 80)
Included* : CPR-AED for health care providers, (Adult, Child and Infant).
*The CPR-AED module is mandatory for SIRIUSMEDx certification. It is included in our courses.
Cost and duration
$855 /8 days (WFR-80h)
$510 /5 days (Bridge-50h)
COMBO! Participants taking AWFA-40hr + Bridge to WFR-50hr in the same year get the combo at $855, just as if they registered to a WFR-80hr course.
- 80h - The Wilderness First Responder (80 hours) is given over a period of 8 days, 8 hours per day, with 4 sessions of 4 hours in the evening. It is also possible to build a course schedule according to the group needs.
- 50h - The Bridge to Wilderness First Responder (50 hours) is given over a period of 5 days at 8 hours per day, with 2 evening sessions of 4 hours each. It is also possible to build a course schedule according to the group needs.
- Courses include classroom theory, as well as practical activities and realistic simulations to develop the required skills.
- Almost half of the course hours are devoted to practical activities
- 80h - No previous first aid experience is required.
- 50h - To be eligible for this add-on module, the participant must have obtained or renewed his Advanced Wilderness First Aid (AWFA-40h) certification within the last 12 months.
- Participants must be in good physical condition.
Participants' knowledge and skills are assessed throughout the training through review sessions, tests and exams, and ongoing evaluation of skill acquisition. Participants' knowledge and skills are also assessed on the last day of training through a multiple-choice and practical exam.
The certificate is valid for three years. SIRIUSMEDx issues a digital certification recognizing your knowledge.
In order to requalify, before your certification expires, you must follow :
- Bridge to Wilderness First Aid (Bridge-50h) OR
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR-80h)